There have been many causes of damaged hair and unhealthy scalp. Most often, in our quest of having that beautiful perfect hair like what is usually featured in shampoo commercials, we often try so hard on putting chemicals and doing a lot of hair-damaging processes to our hair. We often exchange the health of our hair to the temporary joy of having a salon-beautified hair, and excessive styling which often involve chemicals and heat in dealing with our hair.
Aside from these damaging processes we put ourselves into, hair and scalp problems come with nutrition and diet. The health of our skin, scalp and hair primarily comes from within. Diet and stress can be major contributory factors in having an unhealthy hair and scalp.
If you are probably one who is faced with these problems, here are five ways that might help you regain a healthy hair and scalp.
1. Go Natural. If you have been having a badly damaged hair because of frequent hair coloring or perming, or excessive styling, do not seek treatment from another chemical-based solution. Probably the best way you can do is to rest your hair from all the chemical treatments and go natural. Natural products are safer way to help your hair and scalp return to its natural condition. Although some natural remedies may have some unpleasant smell or icky feel, it would be just too small a concern on what it can do for you. Try Jojoba Oil, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil and other essential oils to restore the shine and glow of your hair. It can also prevent itchy scalp. You can also try herbal shampoo to lessen the chemical build-ups in your hair.
2. Eat Right. The natural beauty of your hair comes from what you eat. Diet contributes a lot to a healthy hair and scalp. A diet rich in Vitamin A and Zinc are said to be good for healthy hair and scalp. In general, healthy and balanced diet of green vegetables, legumes, nuts, oysters (which is rich in zinc), and whole grains can bring your hair to its best shape.
3. Exercise. Stress can be one factor in making a dull and unhealthy hair. It has also been seen to cause dandruff and other skin problems, thus one thing to avoid it is to exercise and get those stress out of your system.
4. Practice Good Hygiene. Maintaining a good hygiene with your hair also brings out the natural beauty of your hair and scalp. Wash your hair with mild shampoo and condition it every time you wash it. You can also massage your scalp to stimulate the oil glands that moisturize the hair naturally. Don’t forget to give your hair a good brushing too.
5. Avoid the Chemicals and Heat. Frequent use of hair dryer and heated rollers can bring permanent damage to your hair. Chemical treatments such as perming, bleaching, straightening and relaxing can also lead to hair loss, thus it is wise to avoid these chemicals and stick with your naturally healthy hair and scalp.
Beautiful hair adds to one’s personality, whereas un-cared for and un-kempt hair can visibly mar it. Besides, healthy hairs reflect one’s general health too. Below are mentioned some tips for maintaining healthy and beautiful hair:
Eat nutritious diet – Experts suggest that correct nutrition is instrumental to healthy hair growth and, conversely, many deficiencies correlate with hair loss. A nutritious diet must include enough of fruits, dark green leafy vegetables, beans, whole grains, carrots, low fat dairy products and nuts besides fatty fish like salmon, eggs and poultry. Consumption of red meat should be kept to minimum. A diet that includes all these things will provide adequate quantities of vitamins, anti-oxidants, trace elements and amino-acids essential to hair health.
Have adequate sleep daily – Besides nutritious diet, having enough sleep of 7 to 8 hours daily is essential to hair health.
Avoid stress – Stress can have adverse effects on our body. Stress can lead to hair loss as well as reduce their growth rate and make them unhealthy, so use stress management techniques to reduce it.
Minimize hair styling products – Use of harsh chemicals in some hair styling products and treatments will only spoil their growth in the long run. So, try your best to minimize their use and instead use herbal products.
Use natural products more – Aloe vera is an effective natural remedy to treat dry or damaged hair and adds shine and volume to them. It can be used in the form of gel, which is readily available in the market but be aware that most will contain additives. So, try to use a brand that contains pure aloe vera.
Use of a 2:1 mixture of curd and lemon juice is quite effective as hair conditioner. Moreover, it is natural and easily available in every home.
To add bounce to hair, use of a 1:1 mixture of warm water and apple cider vinegar on them is very effective. Rinse it thoroughly after 5 minutes to get rid of the apple cider smell.
Olive oil is great for conditioning and shine. Honey can also be combined with olive oil to make the results much better. Use them once a week or a fortnight depending on natural oiliness of hair.
Keep hair clean and free from oil – Hair wash should be quite frequent, depending on the oiliness of skin and exposure to dirt and dust. It’s not good to wash them daily, because it can strip them off natural oils, which are essential for healthy hair growth. So, try to find your own balance.
Use correct shampoo and conditioner – Try to use different high quality products for a certain period of time and decide by the process of elimination the product that suits you most. Try to find a good combination of products especially designed for specific hair types.
Do not comb wet hair – Combing wet hair can break them. Use of dryer should be kept to minimum as it is likely to weaken them. It is best to let hair dry naturally, especially in the summer time.
Treat hair gently – Avoid being harsh when combing, drying or styling hair, because harsh movements can significantly damage the locks. Similarly, using very hot water for washing hair can damage their tips. Therefore, use cold or lukewarm water instead.
Give regular massage to hair – Massaging improves blood circulation and stimulates blood flow to hairs. One can use coconut oil or almond oil to massage scalp. Applying lavender oil also promotes their growth. Massage the scalp gently moving it with finger tips in circular movements.
Trim hair regularly – Snipping hair more often helps in faster hair growth and removes split ends. Trimming the lower portion of hair every six to eight weeks is always advisable as it ensures that the damage is minimal. And this promotes growth of healthy hair.
Avoid using styling tools – The biggest culprits behind damaged hair are hot tools and styling products as they reduce their thickness and sheen making them look dull and dry.
Avoid tight hairstyles – Ponytails and similar hairdos look awesome but tight hairstyles cause pressure on the roots and can lead to breakage of hair. So, try different and loose hairstyles.
Greasy, oily hair is frustrating; especially when you know your hair is washed and clean. It looks dirty and filthy and thus prevents you from looking and feeling your best self.
Aside from the outlook issue, oily hair also is responsible for a few skin problems. An overly oily scalp might result in scalp acne, fungus infection and uncomfortable itching and can cause severe skin disorder.
So what to do?
There are several ways to get rid of excess hair oil. I am saying excess because we don’t want to shed off all hair oils. Natural oil helps to retain hair moisture and assists in growing long, lustrous locks of hair.
There are many remedies and process to clear your oily scalp. And shampooing your hair daily is one of the easiest yet effective ways to clear your head without damaging your precious locks of hair.
Let’s learn some useful tips and tricks about using the best shampoo to get rid of excess oily hair:
• Find the best Shampoo for Oily Hair
The first and foremost thing you need is to find the best shampoo for oily hair that suits your hair type. Go to the supermarket, search online and buy the best shampoo for your oily hair. While buying your shampoo always look in the ingredients list and see if you are allergic to any of them; also try to avoid “added shine” shampoos because include oily ingredients. Furthermore, always try to buy a soft, mild shampoo as a harsh shampoo might damage your hair due to regular usage.
• Shampoo more frequently
Generally, it is not advised to shampoo your hair daily to maintain the moisture level of your scalp. But when you are suffering from excessive oily hair and scalp, washing your hair daily with the best shampoo for oily hair is a good move. It removes excess oils and dirt and leaves your hair clean, silky and smooth. But remember that washing more than once daily will have an adverse effect; the glands will overreact and will start producing more oil to make up the extra oil loss.
• Shampoo properly; be gentle
Don’t wash your hair in haste and with harsh hands; it may cause unnecessary hair fall. Be gentle, be soft; tenderly massage the best shampoo in oily hair with gentle hands onto your scalp and whole hair for a couple of minutes before washing off with cold water. Avoid using your nails and excessive rubbing while massaging the shampoo because this can irritate your scalp and trigger to produce more oils.
• Use a dry shampoo if required
Some of the best shampoo for oily hair comes in dry form. If you are conscious about washing your hair daily then it’s better to adopt a dry shampoo in your routine. Dry shampoos are made to absorb excess oils, remove any foul smell and add extra volume to your hair.
Additionally, if you are in a hurry and you don’t have time to wash your hair, dry shampoo is the best solution you can adopt.